VHB’s growing Providence, RI office is looking for an Environmental Scientist to join our Natural Science group.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
As a team, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Performing natural resource surveys including, but not limited to, wetland delineations and functional assessments, wildlife habitat evaluations and rare species surveys
- Preparation of studies and technical reports
- Development of federal, state and local permit applications
- Preparation of environmental impact statements and assessments, planning and zoning studies, wetland permit applications, and PD&ER studies
- Designing studies of key ecological issues to support public and private sector clients in making informed sound environmental decisions
- Establishing and tracking project milestones and business goals
- Maintaining ongoing dialog with clients to keep them apprised of project status, changes in conditions or other key points of information
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Team oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Demonstrated experience managing project budgets, schedule and deliverables, and supervising junior staff
- BS in Biology, Ecology, Natural Resources, Environmental Science or a directly related field; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of professional environmental consulting experience
- Ability/willingness to work in physically challenging outdoor situations in all types of weather and traveling on a regular basis to project sites located in New England
- Experience in plant species identification and soil characterization in the northeast is required
- Ability to identify and describe wildlife, habitats, and ecological communities is required
- Knowledge of the state and federal wetland regulations, land use environmental regulations and environmental permitting is required
Please submit applications online.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for over 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Any current new hires will likely be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.