VHB’s growing Southeast Environmental Services team has an immediate need for a senior-level Environmental Scientist/Project Manager to join our growing practice in Orlando, Florida. The successful candidate will have a least 10–15 years of professional experience in consulting in the transportation, real estate, and environmental field and with the preparation of NEPA documents, PD&E studies, and state and federal permits, with an emphasis on work with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and Airports. In addition to participating in high-profile transportation, private development, and environmental/natural resource projects, the Senior Environmental Scientist/Project Manager will also be responsible for leading business development efforts, assisting in management and mentoring of staff.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Senior Environmental Scientist/Project Manager | Orlando, FL
- PD&E, ITS, and Roadway Design Environmental Oversight
- Section 404/401, state, and local environmental permitting
- NEPA documentation preparation and review
- Prepare environmental impact statements and assessments
- Oversee rare, threatened and endangered species surveys
- Conduct environmental analyses
- Assist with public involvement activities
- Conduct ESA Section 7 consultation and Section 10 permitting
- Delineation of Wetlands and Functional Analyses
- Identification of plants and vegetation inventories
- Facilitation of GPS, mobile technology, and data management
- Utilization of GIS, geodatabases, and basic mapmaking
- Perform Research and Analysis and prepare written technical reports
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members, clients and regulators
- Lead new business development efforts and prepare proposals
- Manage department, projects and budgets
- Act as a mentor to environmental staff
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Thorough understanding of FDOT Procedural Manuals and technical environmental impact analysis
- Ability to identify flora within the Central Florida region using technical keys/regional references.
- Ability to delineate wetlands and complete wetland functional analysis
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in an office setting, remote field locations, and/or in challenging weather conditions
- Ability to travel on short notice, at night, and/or on weekend shifts, and potentially for extended periods of time
- Ability to think critically in the field and office
- Excellent attention to detail, team oriented, and flexible
- 10-15 years of experience in environmental science and natural resources
- Transportation support experience (FDOT/Airports)
- B.S. or B.A. in Environmental Science, Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife, Ecology, or Natural Resources (Masters preferred)
- Coursework in plant identification, plant ecology, wildlife species, wetland identification, and/or aquatic habitats
- Extensive fieldwork experience in Florida/Southeastern natural habitats, whether through coursework or professional experience
- Extensive Permitting Experience (Federal/State) and knowledge of NEPA
- Experience in leading business development opportunities
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.