Marketing at an engineering firm? Yes!
Are you an experienced A/E/C marketing professional ready to join a dynamically growing team? VHB seeks a skilled strategist and communicator to provide marketing leadership in support of our pursuit and client development efforts for our Southeast Region. We are looking for a creative and energetic marketer who relishes the thrill of competing for projects in the government, transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy markets with a strong interest in helping raise VHB’s prominence in the region. As part of our Regional Marketing Leadership team, you will report to the Regional Marketing Director and work with our marketing and technical staff to develop effective, client-focused deliverables.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast.
We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
High-visibility role that requires a dynamic and energetic marketing leader comfortable providing hands-on management and mentoring of the Regional Marketing Team, working closely with office/regional leaders, as well as marketing and communications professionals across the firm as a key contributor to major initiatives.
The Regional Marketing Manager should be creative, engaging, and easy to work with—a role model for marketers throughout the company.
Partners with the Regional Marketing Director in development and implementation of the Region’s client-visibility-pursuit (C-V-P) initiatives across VHB’s Business Development (BD) lifecycle. Leverages Regional Marketing organization for successful and timely execution of strategies.
Leads, guides and mentors the Regional Marketing Team, in coordination with Regional Marketing Director, leveraging Marketing C-V-P Leads (if applicable), for management and mentoring support to the team.
Actively involved in entire Client Visibility Pursuit (C-V-P) lifecycle with accountability in making sure VHB’s marketing and BD best practices are implemented in the Regional marketing organization. Trains marketing staff on processes, best practices, and other topics. Actively works to continually improve and enhance regional proposal and marketing deliverables. Has demonstrated experience leading Super Strategic and/or Alternative Delivery proposals and is a credible authority and mentor in guiding the team through such efforts.
- Actively participates in and/or facilitates strategy and business development meetings. Understands Focus Forward Approach program and strategic partnership of marketing in its success to ultimately support sales and revenue growth.
- Partners with and directly supports Marketing Director in execution of Market and Client Focus Team strategies. Offers opinion and assignment of appropriate marketing staff to resource the teams.
- Maintains an understanding of each market and client team’s role in achieving the Region’s business plan.
- Utilizes marketing and sales metrics to help promote strategic decision making on marketing and BD efforts.
- Facilitates and leads annual Client Mapping and SWOT analyses.
- Understands the Region’s pursuit pipeline and helps to guide and/or directly manage the CRM Specialist in the active management of the Pipeline. Reviews and understands monthly Pipeline reports.
- Understands the critical position to win questions that are discussed in Go/No Go conversations. Active participant and/or the lead marketer on Go/No Go conversations.
- Guides marketing team in the development and creation of value proposition and pre-sell pieces.
- Facilitates proposal strategy and capture planning discussions. Guides teams – both technical and marketing personnel – in formulating key messages, including value proposition, differentiators, and win themes. Ensures incorporation of differentiating content to create client-focused proposals.
- Works with Regional Marketing Leadership and Communications Specialist (as applicable), to develop and execute visibility plans and tactics for pre-award through post-award efforts.
- Uses the pipeline report to help develop and plan for timely visibility around major pursuits and brand enhancement needs.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of Regional pursuits, particularly strategic proposals. Provides guidance and thought leadership to pursuit champions.
- Ensures assignment of appropriately skilled marketing and design resources to align to the task and pursuit at hand. Leverages Marketing lead input and support, as needed/applicable.
- Experienced in and comfortable facilitating proposal strategy discussions for junior level marketers and technical practitioners.
- Ensures capture plan strategies and win themes are transferred and incorporated. Makes sure marketing resources are partnered with PCs in monitoring progress and execution of Capture Planning strategies, as assigned. Communicates and elevates concerns and progress challenges to RMD or RM, as necessary.
- Identifies and communicates win themes and approaches to win, and ultimately guides incorporation of themes into all proposal sections using writing and editing skills. Identifies how our clients perceive VHB, and how the client perceives competitors.
- Manages continuity and resourcing of marketing team on client interviews. Serves as presentation coach, as needed.
- 8-10 years of proposal, writing, or marketing experience in AEC, including direct staff management.
- BS in Marketing, Communications, English, or like degree.
- Strong understanding of the AEC industry.
- Skilled writer, editor, and communicator. Strong attention to detail.
- Experience serving as a mentor to junior staff. Demonstrated experience successfully directing and managing a minimum size team of 3 to 5.
- Ability to serve as an active strategist, marketing thought leader, and collaborative partner with technical staff.
- Works effectively and independently in high-pressure team environment to manage multiple tasks in parallel. Ability to quickly adapt to and communicate changes in program schedules and priorities.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-motivation, and self-discipline.
- Project management capabilities to meet milestones on time and within budget, including resource allocation/management.
- Involvement and certification in industry affiliations preferred (ie. CPSM, APMP)
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel among regional offices, as needed.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.