WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB’s Environmental Resources Group in Atlanta is seeking an Aquatic Ecologist to work with our expanding ecology group.
- Preparation of environmental and planning-related documents for transportation, planning, and land development projects.
- Conduct studies of key ecological issues to support public and private sector clients in making informed sound environmental decisions
- Independently perform research and prepare written technical reports
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members
- Maintaining ongoing dialog with clients to keep them apprised of project status, changes in conditions or other key points of information
Skills and Attributes
- Experience in mussel and fish survey and identification the southern U.S. preferred
- Working knowledge of biological and environmental processes
- Ability to work efficiently, perform tasks in a timely manner with attention to detail
- Detail-oriented with the ability to effectively convey technical information. Strong written and verbal communication skills are paramount
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge and ability to operate a variety of software programs, including MicrosoftÒ Word, Access, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- GIS mapping/graphics
- Ability to perform strenuous activities under a variety of environmental conditions
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and office setting
- This position requires periodic outdoor work, including travel and overnight stays
- Master (MS.) degree in Malacology, Fisheries, Ecology, Biology, Natural Resource Management, or related natural resource field plus a minimum of five years of experience in the field
- Experience performing stream sampling efforts (chemical and biological) and have taxonomic expertise identifying mussels and fishes
- Survey and taxonomic experience with mussels are highly desired
- The candidate should feel extremely comfortable in and around water
- Qualifications preferred but not required include SCUBA certification and boat operation
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.