VHB, a nationally recognized leader in design, is seeking an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineer to join our growing Transportation Technology Group in New England. Project work will focus on the planning, design and construction support of ITS infrastructure including power and communications systems.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Intelligent Transportation Systems Engineer | Watertown, MA or Providence, RI
- Work within a team of professionals to develop design plans and specifications for a variety of Intelligent Transportation Systems and communication equipment & infrastructure
- Development of Systems Engineering documents for transportation technology projects following the FHWA Systems Engineering Process
- Planning for ITS and connected and autonomous vehicle (CAV) deployments including preparing master planning and policy documents
- Design of ITS equipment and communications infrastructure including fiber optic and wireless technologies, CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs, and sensor technologies
- Perform other engineering field work (field equipment testing, utility and infrastructure verification, i.e. taking measurements and pictures at field sites)
- Writing technical reports and memoranda
Skills & Abilities
- Strong civil or electrical engineering background
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Excel in working in a team environment
- Ability to read and comprehend design and construction specifications and plans
- Ability/willingness to work outdoors on occasion on highway job sites and uneven terrain
- AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- BS in Civil or Electrical Engineering with a focus on Transportation
- 1-3 years of professional experience in the planning, design, and construction of ITS equipment and/or communications systems (cellular, fiber, wireless) preferred
- Interest in working across multiple disciplines concurrently with a diversity of assignments
- Experience developing civil design and construction documents for state DOTs
- EIT preferred
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and ability/willingness to travel on occasion
Please submit applications online.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.