WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB’s Virginia Beach office is looking for a Water Resources Engineer. The position offers the opportunity to be a part of our successful water resources practice that provides municipal, state, and federal governmental agencies and private sector clients a full array of integrated professional water resources services including:
- Stormwater Management Quality and Quantity Design (Stormwater Management)
- MS4 Regulatory Compliance
- Floodplain management
- Design and develop computations for storm drains, erosion and sediment control, and traditional and innovative green stormwater management infrastructure
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools. Both transportation and land development projects.
- Perform engineering computations related to site hydrology and hydraulics, earthwork, stormwater BMPs, and natural channel design structural components.
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Assist with the preparation of design engineering plans and specifications for approval by municipalities and regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Stormwater modeling of large watersheds and small sub-basins.
- Promote the application of newest technologies (GIS/GPS/Civ3D, Automation etc.) to bring efficiency and clarity to our water resources assignments.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Understanding of basic stormwater and drainage concepts
- MicroStation and/or AutoCAD drafting experience
- Perform engineering field surveys to collect stormwater flow pattern data necessary for modeling, analysis, and evaluation of existing conditions.
- Knowledge with preparation and review of Engineering Plans and Specifications to ensure that all aspects of project implementation are clearly conveyed
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Highly organized
- Capable of coordinating and performing multiple tasks
- 0 - 2 years of experience in an engineering/environmental consulting environment
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree within civil engineering and/or environmental engineering or a closely related field
- EIT desired
- Knowledge of the regulatory processes in Virginia is desired
- GIS and CAD application experience are desired
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.