WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, surveyors, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
The Transit & Rail Engineer will be part of a design team supporting a variety of railroad and rail transit projects across the Metro DC National Capital Region. The candidate should have an interest in the railroad and/or rail transit industry and a desire to grow in the business. Course work and/or any expertise or experience in railroad design is a plus.
- Assist VHB team on the high-profile $2B Long Bridge railroad project between Arlington, VA and Washington, DC as well as several other high-profile transit and rail projects along the same corridor.
- Engineering efforts include supporting all aspects of project management, fieldwork, and design.
- Perform civil design on a variety of rail projects including track structure and drainage, alignment geometry, grade crossings, stations, and layover facilities
- Support Project Development process from conceptual to final design with supporting documentation
- Develop specifications, cost estimates, and project schedules
- Prepare technical reports and analyses
- Assist in the development of construction bid documents
- Provide design support services during construction
- Work effectively and collaboratively in a multi-discipline team environment
Skills and Attributes
- Strong technical design skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to speak and/or present to groups
- Strong analytical skills and ability to independently research and solve technical problems
- Ability to identify design solutions that balance the need of multiple stakeholders
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple disciplines
- Strong capability in the use of computer applications including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience with the AutoCAD and/or MicroStation CADD platforms
- Highly motivated with a desire to learn and apply new skills
- BS in Civil Engineering or related field
- 0 to 5 years of experience in railroad and/or rail transit and engineering design
- Desire to learn railroad and rail transit design requirements and recommended practices
- Desire to learn Project Management responsibilities
- Basic familiarity with track, station, layover facility and general civil engineering
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification or the ability to obtain within twelve (12) months of employment
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.