WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB is seeking a talented Transit & Rail Project Engineer to join our growing Metro DC practice supporting a variety of railroad and rail transit projects across the National Capital Region. The candidate should have expertise and experience in the railroad and/or rail transit industry and a desire to grow in the business.
- Assist VHB team on the high-profile $2B Long Bridge railroad project between Arlington, VA and Washington, DC as well as several other high-profile transit and rail projects along the same corridor.
- Engineering efforts include supporting all aspects of project management, fieldwork, and design.
- Perform civil design on a variety of rail projects including track structure and drainage, alignment geometry, grade crossings, stations, layover facilities, bridge and structures, and maintenance of equipment (MOE) and maintenance of way (MOW) yards
- Support the Project Development process including preparation of conceptual, preliminary, and final design with supporting documentation
- Develop specifications, cost estimates, and project schedules
- Prepare technical reports and analyses
- Assist in the development of construction bid documents
- Provide design support services during construction
- Work effectively and collaboratively in a multi-discipline team environment
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical design skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and analytical skills
- Strong capability in the use of computer applications including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience with the AutoCAD and/or MicroStation CADD platforms
- BS in Civil Engineering or related field
- 5-10 years of experience in railroad and/or rail transit and engineering design
- Clear understanding of railroad and rail transit design requirements including AREMA recommended practices
- Familiarity with track, station, layover facility, structures, and general civil engineering
- PE license in Maryland, DC, and/or VA or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.