About the Position
The position offers the opportunity to be a leader within our successful water resources practice that provides municipal, state and federal governmental agencies and private sector clients a full array of integrated professional water resources services including:
- Watershed / Water quality
- Stormwater management
- Floodplain management
A strong candidate for this role must be competent in performing water resources engineering work and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic/ hydraulic analysis and design methods. A strong candidate will be able to independently make sound engineering decisions, develop water resource design plans, write design specifications, and plan technical reports. The candidate understands how to clearly convey the design intent to engineering drawings and specifications. The candidate has a firm grasp of the fundamentals of engineering processes and their application to operating systems. The candidate has developed a thorough understanding of construction methods and the manner in which, engineering drawings and specifications are translated into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Leading multi-disciplinary projects with hydrologic, hydraulic, or water quality focus including interaction with staff and clients
- Identifying and pursuing new business. Performs lead discipline role in proposals and presentations
- Analyzes technical problems, assesses the feasibility of proposed techniques and procedures, and devises new approaches and alternative solutions
Management and Business Development
- Managing clients and overseeing technical staff to complete projects. Manage personnel involved in engineering investigations and planning work
- Assisting with business development opportunities. Lead project pursuits (LOI, ELOI, Technical Proposals, Presentations, Manhours, etc.) Performs lead discipline role in proposals and presentations
- QC of construction plans, and design documents generated by other team members
- Prepares cost and man-hour estimates, job budgets and schedules
- Assists management and marketing personnel with client visits, etc.
- Capable of negotiating staff-hours and preparing requests for supplemental agreements
- Creating and expanding technical resources of staff
- Acting as a mentor and aiding in staff development
- Lead the design of projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools. Both transportation and land development projects
- Lead in the developing technical reports (drainage reports, pond siting reports, bridge hydraulics reports and permitting documents), design plans, construction documents, and specifications for water resources related projects, for approval by municipalities and regulatory agencies
- Lead in Performing engineering computations related to site hydrology and hydraulics (conveyance systems, analysis and design of cross drains, bridges, design of storm water management facilities, floodplain compensation analysis), earthwork, stormwater BMPs, and natural channel design structural components
- Lead in conducting hydrologic and hydraulic studies using current modeling software including: ICPR 4, PONDS, HY-8, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, EPA SWMM, SRH-2D/SMS, and others
- Overseeing in the preparation of construction plans consistent with FDOT standards
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong technical background in hydrology and hydraulics
- Experience in acquiring new clients and client management
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs is preferred: ICPR, PONDS, ASAD, GEOPAK Drainage, ArcGIS, HY-8, HEC-RAS, MicroStation, AutoCAD
- Design experience with the FDOT Drainage Manual and FDOT Plans Preparation Manual
- Knowledge with preparation and review of Engineering Plans and Specifications to ensure that all aspects of project implementation are clearly conveyed
- Team-oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Well versed in FDOT design standards and criteria related to both drainage design and plans production; able to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures and manuals to accomplish the design process for assigned projects
- B.S. in engineering with at least 15 years post graduate experience
- Registered Florida PE
- Advanced understanding of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling programs
- Project management of relevant projects
- nowledge of the regulatory processes in Florida. Understanding of local, state, and federal permitting
- Design of stormwater management systems, storm drain systems, open channel conveyance, culvert analysis, bridge hydraulics and floodplain compensation. Production of contract roadway plans to be submitted to FDOT, Florida's Turnpike, and other municipalities
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!