VHB, a nationally recognized leader in design, is seeking an Intelligent Transportation Systems/ITS Engineer to join our Transportation Systems Group. Project work will focus on the planning, design and construction support of ITS infrastructure including power and communications systems. This position can be located in any of VHB's 30+ offices in the Eastern US. VHB is embracing a Hybrid Work model where employees are provided the flexibility to work where their productivity and creativity flourishes, splitting time between an office and off-site work.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Intelligent Transportation Systems/ITS Engineer (hybrid) | Any VHB Office
- Work within a team of professionals to develop design plans and specifications for a variety of ITS, communications, and electrical power equipment & infrastructure
- Planning and development of ITS, communications, and low power electrical systems
- Design of ITS equipment and communications infrastructure including fiber optic and wireless technologies, CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs, and sensor technologies
- Electrical power design for small AC and DC systems, including street/highway lighting and solar power systems
- Perform other engineering field work (field equipment testing, utility and infrastructure verification, i.e. taking measurements and pictures at field sites)
- Writing technical reports and memoranda
- Writing and updating specifications for ITS hardware to keep current with trends in transportation technology
Skills and Abilities
- Strong electrical or civil engineering background
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically
- Excel in working in a team environment with remote team members
- Ability to read and comprehend electrical diagrams and construction specifications
- AutoCAD and/or Microstation knowledge beneficial
- 2-year or 4-year degree in Electrical Engineering or Civil Engineering with a focus on Transportation
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in ITS/Technology Transportation
- If hired locally, possess a valid driver’s license, good driving record, and ability/willingness to travel on occasion
- If hired remotely, ability to work a schedule that overlaps with team members who are largely in the New England region
- Experience with ITS equipment and/or communications systems (cellular, fiber, wireless)
- Interest in working across multiple disciplines concurrently with a diversity of assignments
Please submit applications online.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.