About the Position
VHB’s growing Southeast Environmental Services team has an immediate need for a Water Resource Director. This role can be filled in either our Tampa or Orlando, FL office. The successful candidate will have a least 15-20 years of professional experience, including water resource consulting experience in the energy, transportation, real estate, and/or local government markets. Applicants should be experienced in designing studies, analyzing data, modeling, and with the preparation of reports and local, state, and federal environmental permit applications within their water resource discipline. In addition to participating in high-profile transportation, private development, and environmental/natural resource projects, the Water Resources Director will also be responsible for leading business development efforts and the management and mentoring of water resources staff.
The position offers the opportunity to be a leader within our successful water resources practice that provides municipal, state, and federal governmental agencies and private sector clients throughout the Southeast Region with a full array of integrated professional water resources services including:
- Watershed / Water quality
- Stormwater management
- Floodplain management
A strong candidate for this role must be competent in performing water resources engineering work and demonstrate a broad knowledge of hydrologic/ hydraulic analysis and design methods. A strong candidate will be able to independently make sound engineering decisions, develop water resource design plans, write design specifications, and plan technical reports. The candidate understands how to clearly convey the design intent to engineering drawings and specifications. The candidate has a firm grasp of the fundamentals of engineering processes and their application to operating systems. The candidate has developed a thorough understanding of construction methods and the manner in which, engineering drawings and specifications are translated into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Leading multi-disciplinary projects with hydrologic, hydraulic, or water quality focus including interaction with staff and clients
- Identifying and pursuing new business throughout the Southeast region. Performs lead discipline role in proposals and presentations
- Analyzes technical problems, assesses the feasibility of proposed techniques and procedures and devises new approaches and alternative solutions
Management and Business Development
- Managing clients and overseeing technical staff to complete projects. Manage personnel involved in engineering investigations and planning work
- Assisting with business development opportunities and growth of the water resources practice throughout the Southeast region. Lead project pursuits (LOI, ELOI, Technical Proposals, Presentations, Manhours, etc.) Performs lead discipline role in proposals and presentations
- QC of construction plans, and design documents generated by other team members
- Prepares cost and man-hour estimates, job budgets, and schedules
- Assists management and marketing personnel with client visits, etc.
- Capable of negotiating staff hours and preparing requests for supplemental agreements
- Creating and expanding technical resources of staff
- Acting as a mentor and aiding in staff development
- Lead the design of projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools, including transportation, local government, and land development projects
- Lead in the developing technical reports (watershed study reports, drainage reports, pond siting reports, bridge hydraulics reports, and permitting documents), design plans, construction documents, and specifications for water resources related projects, for approval by municipalities and regulatory agencies
- Lead in performing engineering computations related to site hydrology and hydraulics (conveyance systems, analysis and design of cross drains, bridges, design of stormwater management facilities, floodplain compensation analysis), earthwork, stormwater BMPs, and natural channel design structural components
- Lead in conducting hydrologic and hydraulic studies using current modeling software including: ICPR 4, PONDS, HY-8, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, EPA SWMM, SRH-2D/SMS, and others
- Overseeing the preparation of construction plans consistent with FDOT standards
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong technical background in hydrology and hydraulics
- Experience in acquiring new clients and client management
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs is preferred: ICPR, PONDS, ASAD, GEOPAK Drainage, ArcGIS, HY-8, HEC-RAS, MicroStation, AutoCAD
- Design experience with the FDOT Drainage Manual and FDOT Plans Preparation Manual
- Knowledge with preparation and review of Engineering Plans and Specifications to ensure that all aspects of project implementation are clearly conveyed
- Team-oriented with a strong capability to motivate others
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Well versed in FDOT design standards and criteria related to both drainage design and plans production; able to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures and manuals to accomplish the design process for assigned projects
- B.S. in engineering with at least 11 years of post-graduate experience
- Registered Florida PE
- Advanced understanding of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling programs
- Project management of relevant projects
- Knowledge of the regulatory processes in Florida. Understanding of local, state, and federal permitting
- Design of stormwater management systems, storm drain systems, open channel conveyance, culvert analysis, bridge hydraulics, and floodplain compensation. Production of contract roadway plans to be submitted to FDOT, Florida's Turnpike, and other municipalities
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!