WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, surveyors, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Marketing Lead | Watertown, MA | Boston, MA | Springfield, CT | Providence, RI | Augusta, ME | Wethersfield, CT
Partners with marketing management, Market and Client Focus teams, and Pursuit Champions to execute marketing activities that support revenue growth. Serves as marketing lead across the client-visibility-pursuit (C-V-P) lifecycle. Independently leads, mentors, and manages other marketers. May serve as lead marketer for the region’s most complex pursuits (Super Strategic, Design Build, etc). May assist in the day-to-day management of the marketing team and/or direct reports, in coordination with marketing management.
- Participates in marketing and business development meetings. Understands the Focus Forward Approach and marketing’s role and strategic partnership in its success to support revenue growth and prominence in the market.
- Partners with marketing management to support execution of Market and Client Focus Team strategies.
- Facilitates and leads Client Mapping and SWOT analyses.
- Understands Opportunity Pipeline concept and intended goals and outcomes. In partnership with CRM Specialist and technical partners, helps to manage and support positioning and messaging around the Opportunity Pipeline.
- May participate in Go/No Go conversations. May serve as marketing lead on Standard Pursuit Go/No Go conversations.
- Assists with the development and creation of the value proposition and pre-sell pieces.
- Partnering with Regional Communication Specialist, helps to develop and execute strategic visibility plans and tactics for pre-award through post-award efforts as needed.
- May manage conferences and exhibits (e.g., development of abstracts; e-blasts; social media; presentations; postcards; pre- and post-conference meetings; timely follow-up with leads generated). Offers recommendation on elevated conference participation and activities, connecting them to pursuit pre-positioning and prominence building goals (e.g., client contact plans and networking opportunities, panel presentations and moderation).
- Serves as a pursuit strategist and collaborative partner with technical staff.
- May serve as Lead Marketer on the region’s most critical pursuits and other complex marketing deliverables (e.g., Design-Build and/or P3 efforts) without the need for day-to-day supervision. Works directly with technical staff to prepare proposal and interview materials, meeting required deadlines and quality expectations. Ensures all sections include differentiating win themes and that sections are compliant, timely, and well written. Provides pursuit process leadership.
- Mentors and reviews proposal and interview deliverables of peer and/or less experienced marketers. Coaches on best practices and suggestions. Reviews/edits narratives for content clarity, compliance, and key messages. Ensures successful transfer of capture plan knowledge and win themes.
- Partners with marketing management in facilitating Capture Planning sessions. Works with Pursuit Champions in monitoring progress and execution of Capture Planning strategies, as assigned. Communicates and elevates concerns and progress challenges to marketing management, as necessary.
- Facilitates proposal strategy discussions for less experienced marketers and technical practitioners. Identifies and communicates win themes and approaches to win. Independently weaves win themes into all proposal sections. Identifies how clients perceive VHB and our competitors.
- May manage a marketing team, including hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; coaching and motivating; and addressing problems.
- Works with graphic design staff to plan and produce materials. Ensures all materials are effectively communicating the strategic vision identified for a given pursuit and align with VHB’s brand.
- Participates in professional and personal development aligned with career goals.
- Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and VHB policies and procedures.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong understanding of the AEC industry.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality.
- Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills.
- Team oriented with ability to perform multiple tasks independently in a timely manner and collaborate effectively and positively with coworkers.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented.
- Strong project management skills.
- Persuasive writing techniques.
- Ability to quickly and accurately edit and reformat documents while under time constraints.
- Ability to adapt to and communicate changes with ease.
- Understanding of the critical position to win questions that are discussed in Go/No Go conversations.
- Experience mentoring and leading/managing others.
- Involvement and certification in industry affiliations preferred (e.g., CPSM, APMP).
- Skills and knowledge must be commensurate with required experience and job level.
- 6-10 years of proposal, writing, or marketing experience in the AEC industry
- BA in Marketing, English, Communications, or related discipline
- Supervisory or leadership experience preferred
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.