Join one of the largest engineering firms in the metro DC area and help shape VHB's future! Our Metro DC office is seeking an experienced, collaboration-oriented land development Real Estate Director. In this exciting role, you will be responsible for delivering on existing real estate projects, driving new business development through your network and connections, and collaborating with corporate leadership across markets, service lines and other VHBs offices.
About the Position
Land Development Real Estate Team Leader | Metro DC
Oversees the implementation of the strategies to create sustainable and industry prominence for the real estate market in Metro DC in collaboration with the Metro DC office leadership. Leverages real estate market connections with developers, brokers and attorneys to drive business development activities to identify, position, win, and execute projects. Continuously build and maintain long term client relationships. Oversees the preparation of proposals and cost estimates for clients to ensure proper scoping of services, availability of resources, and pricing to achieve desired profitability.
- Contribute to the steady growth of VHBs Metro DC Land Development practice with a focus on the real estate market
- Lead a team of professionals to develop site/civil engineering plans and specifications for a multitude of small, medium, and large real estate projects
- Develop new project opportunities and manage proposal submissions
- Responsible for project financial performance and client relations
- Support preparation of real estate project design and permitting documents
- Review drawings and specifications documenting the systems designed
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues with them
- Understand the Metro DC permitting and entitlements process to obtain project approvals
- Supervise design team activities during construction administration
- BS in Civil Engineering or related degree (such as Landscape Architecture or Planning)
- 11+ years of professional civil engineering experience focusing on land development, civil/site engineering, landscape architecture or planning
- Professional Engineering license preferred (or equivalent certifications if LA / Planning)
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and leadership skills
- Self-motivated with attention to details and ability to think critically
- Actively lead and participate in project delivery, maintain and build client relationships
- Have knowledge of and experience in all aspects of site/civil engineering for residential, mixed-use, transit-oriented development, industrial and commercial site design including permitting, grading and drainage design, utility design, and site and roadway layout in a predominantly urban environment
- Possess thorough understanding and demonstrated experience with the typical land entitlement process in Metro DC including permitting at the local, state and federal level
- Have a track record of:
- significant interaction and relationships with clients, local, state and federal agencies and staff
- assisting clients on the repositioning, development, re-development and expansion of complex commercial, industrial residential sites to meet market demand
- leading an integrated design team to maximize development capacity of sites, meet development milestones and critical opening day schedules
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.