About the Position
Our Tampa, FL office is looking for an experienced Director of Transportation to join and help expand our transportation practice. The successful candidate must have broad knowledge in the delivery of transportation engineering and planning assignments for public and private sector clients. The individual we are looking for will have deep existing industry relationships in the Greater Tampa area and throughout the West Coast of Florida. In addition to aiding in the development of the office’s growth strategy, the person selected for this position will have a proven ability to develop new business, manage projects, and mentor staff.
- Lead, manage and develop a dynamic team of industry professionals
- Generate new business development opportunities and lead winning pursuits
- Work collaboratively with Local and Regional leadership to establish the strategic direction for the transportation practice in the Tampa area
- Participate/lead go/no go and partnering decisions on strategic pursuits
- Oversee relationships with key clients and manage important project assignments
- Serve as Principal-in-Charge, providing guidance to the team on select transportation projects
- Establish the office’s annual Transportation business plan to oversee the achievement of its business goals
Skills and Abilities
- Must have a demonstrated track record and the ability to oversee a team of engineering and planning professionals by generating new business
- Must have strong financial management skills
- Must be knowledgeable in a broad range of transportation engineering and planning topics, spanning both the public and private sectors with a demonstrated ability to think and act strategically.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills, including the ability to mentor staff while successfully managing complex, multiple disciplinary projects
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, transportation planning, or a related field; a master’s degree is preferred
- 15+ years of relevant experience in transportation engineering and/or planning
- FL registration as a professional engineer required
- AICP Certification desirable or ability to become certified
- Demonstrated experience managing other staff members
- Extensive marketing experience with measurable results
- Strong client contacts and relationships (both public and private sector – state, county, and local agencies, and developers)
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!