About the Position
VHB’s growing Southeast Environmental Services team has an immediate need for a Senior Environmental Scientist to join our growing practice in Tampa, Florida. The successful candidate will have a least 12 years of professional experience, including environmental consulting experience in the energy, transportation, real estate, and/or local government markets.
Applicants should be experienced in designing studies, analyzing data, and with the preparation of reports and local, state, and federal environmental permit applications. In addition to participating in high-profile transportation, private development, and environmental/natural resource projects, the Senior Environmental Scientist will also be responsible for business development efforts and the management and mentoring of environmental staff.
Responsibilities – specific responsibilities will vary by the specific natural resource or water resource discipline of the applicant.
- Design of environmental and natural resource studies and projects
- Prepare and process federal, state, and local environmental/regulatory permit applications
- Ecological study design and data evaluations
- Oversee rare, threatened and endangered species surveys and conduct ESA Section 7 consultation and Section 10 permitting
- Conduct environmental analyses
- Delineation of Wetlands and Wetland Functional Analyses
- Identification of plants and vegetation inventories
- Facilitation of GPS, mobile technology, and data management
- Utilization of GIS and geodatabases
- Perform Research and Analysis and prepare written technical reports
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members, clients and regulators
- Lead business development efforts and prepare proposals
- Manage staff, projects and budgets
- Act as a mentor to environmental staff
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Thorough understanding of regulatory permitting
- Ability to identify project leads and develop new business
- Ability to delineate wetlands and complete wetland functional analysis
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in an office setting, remote field locations, and/or in challenging weather conditions
- Ability to travel on short notice, at night, and/or on weekend shifts, and potentially for extended periods of time
- Ability to think critically in the field and office
- Excellent attention to detail, team oriented, and flexible
- Minimum 12 years of experience in natural resources
- Transportation (FDOT/Airports), Energy, and/or Local Government support experience a plus
- B.S. or B.A. in Environmental Science, Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife, Ecology, or Natural Resources (Masters preferred)
- Extensive professional experience working in Florida and particularly West Central Florida
- Extensive Permitting Experience (Federal/State)
- Experience in leading business development opportunities and growing a practice
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!