About the Position
VHB’s Bedford, NH office is looking for an Environmental Scientist/Project Manager to join our growing Natural Sciences Team working to deliver projects for our transportation, energy, and land development clients across New England. The ideal candidate will have previous experience with managing environmental permitting efforts, project environmental compliance monitoring, and have competency in conducting natural resource field delineations such as wetland and waters delineation.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
- Perform natural resource surveys that may include wetland delineations and functional assessments, soil mapping, wildlife habitat evaluations, vernal pool assessments, and rare species surveys
- Preparation of natural resource studies and technical reports
- Management and development of federal, state, and local environmental permit applications, environmental impact statements and assessments, and planning and zoning studies
- Conduct environmental monitoring during project construction to ensure permit compliance and prepare inspection reports
- Maintain ongoing dialogue with clients to keep them apprised of project status, changes in conditions or other key points of information (client management)
- Attend meetings with federal and state regulatory agencies and local municipalities to present projects
- Project management including preparing proposals, schedules, quality control of deliverables, managing project budgets, and invoicing
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and oral presentation skills
- Exceptional attention to details, planning and quality
- Highly motivated and team oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem-solving with stakeholders, clients, and colleagues
- Experience in managing project budgets, schedule, and deliverables, and working closely with other teammates
- Experience in identifying northeast plant species, soils, and natural communities
- Knowledge of state and federal wetland regulations, land use environmental regulations and environmental permitting
- BS in Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Biology, Ecology, or related field required (a master’s degree may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- 5-8 years of professional environmental consulting experience required, with a focus on natural resources preferred
- NH Certified Wetland Scientist, Professional Wetland Scientist, and/or Certified Soil Scientist preferred
- Experience in conducting wetland delineations and other natural resource field surveys (vernal pool, wildlife habitat assessments, etc.) preferably in the Northeastern U.S Region preferred
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.