About the Position
VHB’s Orlando, FL office is seeking a Senior Designer to join their Transportation team.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic team, across diverse disciplines, giving you exposure to a wide variety of projects in size and scope. The successful candidate will have 10+ years of experience in the development of roadway plans. Additionally, the candidate shall possess strong attention to detail and the ability to focus on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Works in conjunction with project engineer to develop horizontal and vertical roadway geometry including alignments, profiles, superelevation, curb ramps, and guardrail design
- Develops engineering drawings, and exhibits for a variety of transportation projects ranging in size and complexity
- Plans, researches, and produces construction drawings based on constraints defined by the project engineer, review agencies, and client needs
- Determines CAD usage and application on projects
- Recognizes and resolves potential construction conflicts and difficulties identified during design
- Estimates number of sheets and contract drawings as well as production time required for design manager’s review
- Prepare roadway design plans per FDOT FDM design guidelines and helps assemble project deliverables per FDOT CADD Handbook
- Prepare Engineering cost estimates and quantity calculations. Experience with quantity manager and development of Estimated quantities reports is a plus
- Develop 3D Models of proposed roadway design using open roads modeler
- Ensures overall consistency, quality, technical accuracy, and design on projects
- Coordinates with other VHB disciplines, clients, and vendors to develop multi-disciplined design and plans
- Conduct field reviews
Skills and Attributes
- Effective written, communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills produce high-quality deliverables in an efficient manner
- Team-oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Motivated to lead and mentor others on CAD and drawing production procedures
- Has a persistent initiative to continually learn new technical practices and to earn the confidence of clients, company management/colleagues, and regulators
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to think critically
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excel in working in a team environment and coordinating with others
- Enthusiasm to learn and the ability to take responsibility
- 10 years of transportation design experience
- FDOT and local municipality experience is a plus with an understanding of FDOT design criteria, specifications, and plans development guidelines
- High school diploma
- Experience with MicroStation (ORD) and AutoCAD is required
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!