About the Position
Environmental Scientist | East Coast, US |
We are looking for a person who wants to be part of a growing team of professionals and lead the internal and external components to grow and develop our energy business in the short and long term. The ideal candidate will have previous experience managing permitting, licensing, and siting efforts associated with energy-related projects on the East Coast, such as renewable energy and other power generation and electric and natural gas transmission/distribution projects. Excellent communication skills are a must for this position, both externally with clients, agencies, and communities, and internally with our diverse team members.
- Perform project management responsibilities, including project deliverables, scope development, cost estimation, staff resource identification, implementation oversight, budget tracking, and completion of administrative requirements
- Perform with project teams responsible for supporting the environmental permitting and licensing, engineering, and construction compliance phases of projects in the energy market
- Coordinate preparation of local, state, and federal permitting processes for energy infrastructure projects, with a particular focus on preparation of permit applications, routing and siting studies, Environmental Management and Construction Plans (EM&CP), Environmental Impact Statements, and technical studies and terrestrial and marine surveys
- Oversee field crews in wetland delineations, sensitive habitat identification, and overall environmental field data collection
- Coordinate and manage stakeholder outreach and engagement, including public meetings, tribal, federal and state agency consultation and coordination, and public comment-response tracking
- Develop and implement overall strategy and approach for environmental aspects of complex projects
- Client management
- Stay up to date with state and local energy trends, and regulations
- Help identify the differentiators in the marketplace
- Assist with project scope development, cost estimation, staff resource identification, implementation oversight, and budget tracking
- Work with multidisciplinary VHB and subcontracted project teams
- Assist with quality control of environmental permit deliverables for projects
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and oral presentation skills
- Exceptional attention to details, planning, and quality
- Team-oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must demonstrate superior ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- BS in planning, natural resources, environmental science, environmental engineering, biological science, or related field with a Master’s Degree preferred
- 5-8+ years of professional environmental compliance consulting experience, with a strong focus in the offshore wind sector in the Northeast region
- Understanding of offshore wind energy development and the market
- Knowledge of federal and state environmental and energy siting regulations and permitting, and NEPA compliance
- Knowledge of federal and state energy siting processes
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.