About the Position
Civil Engineer | Tampa, FL
- Develops project management skills through on-the-job training of project management techniques and management systems through assisting with the project proposal process and determining project requirements (e.g., schedule and budget).
- For a detailed segment of a project, lays out full plan designs, plan details and outlines, identifies quantities of materials, cost estimates, and performs calculations.
- Assists senior engineers with a variety of assignments (e.g., development of design guides, guide specifications, design control procedures).
- Prepares technical specifications for review and approval.
- Evaluates vendor bids and drawings to assure compliance with specifications.
- Reviews and may approve design drawings for assigned segment of project.
- Prepares technical reports.
- Performs field tests, takes measurements, and collects field data, as necessary.
- May provide technical guidance to or supervise junior team members and assign/coordinate tasks.
- Participates in professional and personal development aligned with career goals.
- Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and VHB policies and procedures.
Skills and Attributes
- Working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures in civil engineering.
- Knowledge of local and state regulations governing site design.
- Skilled in industry-standard engineering design and analysis systems (e.g., CAD, GIS, stormwater hydrology and hydraulics, traffic simulation).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Team oriented with ability to perform multiple tasks independently in a timely manner and collaborate effectively and positively with coworkers.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented.
- 3-5 years of engineering experience
- BS in Civil Engineering (a master’s degree may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- Engineer in Training certification preferred
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.