About the Position
VHB’s Manasquan, New Jersey office is seeking a seller-doer Senior Environmental Scientist/Project Manager to join our growing team with a focus on offshore wind and other large-scale renewable energy projects. This is an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic team across diverse disciplines, giving you exposure to a wide variety of projects in size and scope. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 8-11 years of professional environmental consulting experience, including conducting wetland delineations and NJDEP and federal permitting (11- 15 years’ experience preferred). The candidate shall possess a strong attention to detail and ability to focus on multiple assignments simultaneously, including developing strategy through the design and permitting phases of projects.
- Work within a team of professionals to conduct a wide array of natural resources related studies and analysis for a multitude of environmental, land development, transportation, energy, and water resources projects
- Lead field efforts on natural resource surveys including, but not limited to, wetland and stream delineations, vernal pool identification and surveys, threatened and endangered species habitat assessments, and invasive species mapping
- Development of federal, state, and local permit applications, including development of permit strategy and mitigation design
- Perform project management responsibilities including project scope development, developing cost estimates, writing proposals, staff resource identification, budget tracking, invoicing, client interaction, implementation oversight, and completion of administrative requirements
- Develop and implement overall business development strategies and approaches, including seeking new opportunities
- Maintaining ongoing dialog with clients to keep them apprised of project status, changes in condition, or other key points of information
Skills and Attributes
- Relevant environmental project management experience including writing proposals and developing and managing budgets
- Client management and business development experience
- Demonstrated experience working with the NJDEP Division of Land Resource Protection and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Knowledge and experience in the offshore wind industry preferred
- Ability to work confidently and independently in the field
- Team oriented with a strong capability to motivate others
- Experience managing multidisciplinary complex projects
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills coordination with subconsultants and colleagues in other office locations regularly
- Must have experience reading and understanding engineering site plans
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Ability to think critically and solve problems, including development of detailed project strategy in both the design and permitting phases
- Strong communication skills between stakeholders, clients, contractors, and state/federal officials
- Demonstrated experience managing project budgets, schedules, and deliverables, and working closely with junior staff
- Ability to identify and describe wildlife, habitats, and ecological communities
- Ability/willingness to work in physically challenging outdoor situations in all types of weather and traveling to project sites, including multi-day trips to project sites throughout VHB’s footprint
- BS in environmental science, natural resources, wetland science, soil science, ecological sciences, or related field
- Master’s degree preferred (master’s degree may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- 8-11 years of professional environmental consulting experience, including experience conducting wetland delineations and NJDEP and federal natural resource permitting required
- 11-15 years of professional environmental consulting experience strongly preferred
- Certifications as a Soil Scientist and/or Professional Wetland Scientist preferred
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.