About the Position
VHB’s South Portland, Maine office is looking for a Director of Land Development to join our growing engineering team.
- Manage the growth of Maine’s Land Development practice to increase market share across Maine
- Lead a team of professionals to develop site/civil engineering plans and specifications for a multitude of small, medium, and large land development projects in the private real estate, municipal, institutional, and resort markets.
- Develop new project opportunities and manage proposal submissions
- Responsible for project financial performance and client relations
- Support preparation of land development design and permitting documents
- Review drawings and specifications documenting the systems designed
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues with them
- Supervise design team activities during construction administration
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and leadership skills
- Self-motivated with attention to details and ability to think critically
- Must be able to work independently and as a part of project teams
- Actively lead and participate in project delivery, maintain, and build client relationships, and proven ability to develop new business
- Knowledge of and experience in all aspects of site/civil engineering for residential and commercial site design including grading and drainage design, utility design site, and roadway layout
- Understanding of GIS, AutoCAD Civil 3D, HydroCAD, StormCAD, MS Office
- Knowledge of land development construction including codes and development regulations
- Knowledge of construction materials and detailing: drawings, sections, and material specifications
- Solid understanding of the typical land entitlement process in Maine
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or related degree (a master’s may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- 15+ years of professional civil engineering experience, focused on land development and civil/site engineering required
- Maine Professional Engineer licensure required
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.