About the Position
VHB is seeking an Intelligent Transportation Systems/ITS Project Engineer to join our Transportation Systems Group. Project work will focus on the planning, systems engineering documentation, design and construction support of ITS infrastructure including power and communications systems.
We are open to applicants that can work out of one of our Eastern US offices (MA, NH, CT, RI, VT, ME, NY, NJ). VHB is embracing a Hybrid Work model where employees are provided the flexibility to work where their productivity and creativity flourishes, splitting time between an office and off-site work.
- Work within a team of professionals to develop design plans and specifications for a variety of ITS, communications, and low voltage electrical equipment & infrastructure
- Develop permanent and work zone transportation systems management solutions to highways and arterials
- Design of ITS equipment and communications infrastructure including fiber optic and wireless technologies, CCTV, Dynamic Message Signs, and sensor technologies
- Electrical power design for small AC and DC systems, including street/highway lighting and solar power systems
- Perform other engineering field work (field equipment testing, utility and infrastructure verification, i.e., taking measurements and pictures at field sites)
- Writing technical reports and memoranda
- Writing and updating specifications for ITS hardware to keep current with trends in transportation technology
Skills and Attributes
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically, applying standards and guidelines to project-specific challenges
- Strong civil/transportation engineering background
- MicroStation and/or AutoCAD knowledge beneficial
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excel in working in a team environment with remote team members
- Ability to read and comprehend highway plans, electrical diagrams, and construction specifications
- Experience with ITS equipment and/or communications systems (cellular, fiber, wireless)
- Interest in working across multiple disciplines concurrently with a diversity of assignments
- Willingness to learn continually, keeping current with advances in transportation technology
- B.S. in Civil Engineering required, with focus on Transportation preferred (a master’s may be substituted for 2 years of experience)
- 5-8 years of professional intelligent transportation systems/ITS engineering experience required
- Prior experience working with or for a New England DOT is beneficial
- Experience in preparing systems engineering documentation in accordance with 23 U.S.C. Section 940 (Rule 940)
- P.E. License required
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.