WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
VHB is actively looking for a Mid- Senior Level Coastal Engineer to join our team in Williamsburg, Virginia Beach or Richmond offices. The Coastal Engineer will assist with the planning and design for waterfront and coastal structures projects, including living shoreline stabilization approaches, revetments, dredging, marinas, marine terminals, urban waterfront developments as well as wetland restoration.
The ideal candidate for this position will have technical experience in designing and permitting a variety of coastal projects and is a licensed professional engineer. The candidate who fills this position will join a high performing team that provides clients with multi-disciplinary engineering and science-based solutions to coastal management challenges including coastal engineering, coastal flood risk, resiliency and adaptation design, and dredged material management.
- Successfully support ongoing Coastal / Water Resources practice through contacts and business development efforts working with state and federal agencies, as well as private sector clients.
- Assist in the development of qualifications and proposals for coastal resilience and coastal infrastructure-related RFPs.
- Assist and ultimately manage and perform engineering analysis, preliminary, and detail design of coastal structures.
- Assist and ultimately manage projects (scope, budget, schedule) and work with sub-consultants and team members and assure quality control of work throughout project execution, including:
- all aspects for the design and permitting of waterfront developments including piers, marinas and boardwalks
- analysis and design of structures for flood and erosion control such as seawalls, bulkheads, revetments and breakwaters, wave fences and fendering, and private and waterfront recreation structures such as fishing piers, marina docking structures, and boat launch ramps
- contributing to living shoreline erosion solutions designs
- conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations
- completing mooring and berthing analyses and design
- dredging design and permitting
- preparation of project specifications, bid and contract documents
- construction contract administration
- site inspections and reports
Skills and Attributes
- Experience working on multidisciplinary teams involving surveyors, environmental scientists, structural engineers, civil engineers, landscape architects and planner in support of coastal management, restoration, resiliency and adaptation efforts
- Knowledge of FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program and experience implementing FEMA’s coastal flood hazard analysis and mapping methodologies.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with industry standard analysis and design software.
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently.
- Highly organized.
- Able to interpret and apply technical information contained in procedures and manuals to accomplish the design process for assigned projects.
- B.S. in Coastal or Ocean Engineering, Oceanography or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in Coastal / Ocean Engineering.
- Virginia PE required.
- Knowledge of the regulatory processes in Virginia.
- Experience with project delivery for multiple Federal, State and local coastal agencies/clients, specific experience with USACE, FEMA, USGS, NOAA preferred.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.