WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
About the Position
VHB is seeking a Structural Team Leader to lead our dynamic and growing Structures group in our Washington, DC or Tysons, VA offices. In this position, you would serve in a lead role in the planning, analysis, design, and detailing of bridge and other transportation related structural projects, as well as helping to lead and mentor technical staff.
- Prepare preliminary and final design documents for bridge-focused projects
- Project management/task management
- Staff mentoring/development/technical oversight
- Business development
- Oversee structural design of highway and/or railroad bridges, transit and rail stations, and ancillary structures
- Assist in the field with structure inspections
- Preparation of cost estimating and contract documents
Skills & Abilities
- Must possess strong technical skills
- Detail oriented and quality focused
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Motivated to lead and mentor others
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal presentations and technical writing is essential
- Familiarity with complex structural design and detailing
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated and collaborative
- Excellent attention to detail
- 11-15 years of civil or structural engineering experience
- BS in Civil Engineering (structural emphasis preferred) (1-2 years of experience can be substituted for a master’s degree)
- PE licensure
- Experience completing transportation studies, design reports, final design documents and developing contract plans, in conformity with accepted engineering standards and procedures including AASHTO & CTDOT
- Knowledge of structural engineering software (AASHTOWare, LARSA 4D, MDX, SP Column, MerlinDASH, Mathcad)
- AutoCAD Civil 3D, MicroStation v8 and Connect experience is a strong plus