ABOUT THE POSITION
VHB’s offices in Augusta and South Portland, ME, are seeking a Construction Inspector to work on a variety of bridge, roadway, and other transportation-based construction projects.
- Provide assurance that the project has been constructed in accordance with plans and specifications
- Provide recommendations concerning construction issues
- Review shop drawings and other submittal
- Review pay requisitions from contractors
- Prepare construction change orders and meeting minutes/correspondence related to the project
- Review material tests results and reports
- May serve as a Resident Engineer, or as a Senior Inspector under the supervision of a Resident Engineer, on MaineDOT or municipal projects
Skills and Attributes
- Strong technical knowledge of construction methods and practices related to highway, bridge, and/or marine projects
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to think critically and solve problems
- Ability to work well in team-oriented structure
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and construction specifications
- Record of success working on public sector projects
- Familiarity with state DOT software
- 5 years of construction inspection experience (3 years of bridge/highway inspection experience)
- High school diploma or GED
- AS or BS in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Management, or related field preferred
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I certification, or ability to obtain within 6 months
- NETTCP HMA Paving Inspector certification preferred
- NETTCP Quality Assurance Technologist certification preferred
- NICET Level III to IV Certification in Transportation/Highway Construction, or current PE licensure in the state of Maine, preferred
- Familiarity with MaineDOT construction inspection requirements and procedures
- Valid driver’s license: frequent use of candidate’s own vehicle required
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment. Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.