About the Position
VHB’s growing Southeast Environmental Services team has an immediate need for a senior-level Environmental Scientist/Project Manager to join our growing practice in Orlando, Florida. The successful candidate will have a least 8 to 11 years of professional experience in consulting in the environmental field and with the preparation of state and federal permits. The applicant should have 3 to 5 years of project management experience. In addition to participating in high-profile environmental/natural resource projects and assisting in business development efforts, the Senior Environmental Scientist/Project Manager will also be responsible for assisting in management and mentoring of staff.
- Section 404/401, state, and local environmental permitting
- NEPA documentation preparation and review
- Prepare environmental impact statements and assessments
- Oversee rare, threatened and endangered species surveys
- Conduct environmental analyses
- Assist with public involvement activities as necessary
- Conduct ESA Section 7 consultation and Section 10 permitting
- Delineation of Wetlands and Functional Analyses
- Identification of plants and vegetation inventories
- Facilitation of GPS, mobile technology, and data management
- Utilization of GIS, geodatabases, and basic mapmaking
- Perform Research and Analysis and prepare written technical reports
- Oversight of water quality monitoring projects and reporting
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members, clients and regulators
- Participate in new business development efforts and prepare proposals
- Act as a mentor to environmental staff
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Ability to identify flora within the Florida region using technical keys/regional references.
- Ability to delineate wetlands and complete wetland functional analysis
- Phase I ESA, Air Quality, and/or Noise study experience a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in an office setting, remote field locations, and/or in challenging weather conditions
- Ability to travel on short notice, at night, and/or on weekend shifts, and potentially for extended periods of time
- Ability to think critically in the field and office
- Excellent attention to detail, team oriented, and flexible
- 8-11 years of experience in environmental science and natural resources
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of Project Management experience
- Renewable Energy experience and/or Transportation support experience (FDOT/Airports) a plus
- B.S. or B.A. in Environmental Science, Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife, Ecology, or Natural Resources (Masters preferred)
- Coursework in plant identification, plant ecology, wildlife species, wetland identification, hydric soils, and/or aquatic habitats
- Extensive fieldwork experience in Florida/Southeastern natural habitats, whether through coursework or professional experience
- Extensive Permitting Experience (Federal/State) and knowledge of NEPA
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!